Monday, June 6, 2011

Envoi


            It has only been a day since leaving Rome, and already I miss it.  There is so much about Rome to miss.  I miss the curving streets, the crowded buildings with faded paint.  I miss the way ruins casually break into the streets and mesh with more current buildings.  I miss the constant sound and the noise of people, of high heels clacking on cobblestone.  I miss the constant motorinos and cars, skillfully (and scarily) driving around tight corners and curves over bumpy roads.  I miss the open piazzas and the fountains spurting free, fresh water.  I miss the pizza, the pasta, and especially the gelato.  I miss waking up and seeing everyone’s exhausted faces.  I miss our busy mornings, siesta filled afternoons, and late dinners.  I miss Rome, and I miss the Romekids.
            Photos alone can never capture the Trevi Fountain.  The rush of the water drowns out any sounds you would attempt to make, and the crowds of people add a whole other element to the experience.  I will never forget, the three of us, Maria, Katy and I, the Trevi Fountain group, giving our presentation.  With my hoarse voice, fighting over a cold, I spoke as loud as I could against the water.  I couldn’t help but laugh when Erika, out of nowhere, spread her arms and said (as loudly as I wish I could have spoken), “I feel like a mermaid!” 
The Pantheon is imposing and large, but it can still sneak up on you as you come around the corner of a small, winding street.  On the portico you can still see the places where the giant statues of Marcus Agrippa and Augustus would have once stood, and standing in front of the empty spaces, I wondered what it would have been like as a temple in Ancient Rome.  Seeing the sharp beam of light the oculus reflects on to the marble walls, one has to wonder how the ancient architects managed to do what they did. 
The colosseum for the gladiators and the poor must have looked very different than the colosseum for the upper class, if our special tour was any clue.  At the very top level, overlooking the ancient amphitheater where few are allowed to visit, Dan rolled his eyes as we all took pictures, rudely ignoring our guide.  It was then, looking out over the side of the wall at the Temple of Venus and Roma, and all the people below, that I fell in love with Rome.
The Campo de’ Fiori was bustling with life and sounds and food, such good food, something that you can’t truly experience without being in the middle of it.  I remember a line of us following Jackie in to the Campo De’ Fiori Forno, excited to eat pizza and explore.  I would end up going back there many times, and eating with Katy on the marble bench running along the side of the Palazzo Farnese.
The necropolis of St. Peter’s is like entering another world, and up in the church itself the art and sheer overwhelming nature took my breath away.  In the Vatican museums I felt like a sheep being herded, but in the Sistine chapel I resisted the crowd and stayed, soaking as much of it in as I could.  Slowly all the churches began to blend together, into a memory of frightful beauty.
I loved the hills, and the gardens, and the look of the city from up high.  I loved the pizza at Remo’s, the feeling of eating in a place that just felt roman.  I loved going out to celebrate Nichole’s birthday, and watching the Tiber at night.  I saw so many things, and became friends with so many wonderful people.  It is an experience that I will never have again in quite the same way.

Seeing Rome is one thing, but being in Rome is something entirely different.
            I remember when I first went, for all of a day, at 17.  I was amazed with what I saw, but did not understand any of it.  I had no idea what I was seeing, where I was, or why what I was seeing was important.  I enjoyed Rome, but I didn’t fall in love like I did this time.  There is something wonderful that comes with understanding.
            It wasn’t hard to fall in love with Rome this time.  After a semester of reading about it, Rome felt oddly familiar.  Already I was able to place locations on a map.  Even within the first day, I knew the general location of where I was at all times.  It was exciting to see all the monuments and ruins and be able to recognize things and understand a little bit of their historical context.  Rome has so much character, and so much history.  To go there and feel like you can actually grasp some of it is an amazing feeling.
            I will always remember walking along the streets laughing and talking with all the other Rome kids.  I will remember waiting for the bus that only came when we didn’t want it.  I will remember the lovely dinners, and the lovely guests, and the lovely museums.  And I will remember the feel of the crisp air from the top of the hills, overlooking the city below.

Words alone can never capture the true feelings I felt while in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment